The PSNI has said it is “keeping an open mind” about a suspected pipe bomb attack at the property where Kevin Conway was shot dead a week ago.
The father-of-two was shot multiple times in a property in the Rossnareen Park area of west Belfast on last Tuesday.
The 26-year-old, who was from the Kilwilkie estate in Lurgan, was an enforcer and drug debt collector for the Co Armagh based drugs gang known as The Firm.
Last week the Irish News revealed that the west Belfast property where Mr Conway was gunned down was targeted in August last year.
At the time the PSNI said that it had received a report that a “suspicious object” had been left in the Rosnareen Park area.
The area was sealed off and ammunition technical officers were called to examine an object “which was later declared to be a viable device”.
It was removed from the scene for forensic examination.
A spokesman for the PSNI said a number of lines of inquiry are now being followed.
“We are aware of the incident referred to but, at this stage, are keeping an open mind on any connection to the subsequent murder of Kevin Conway,” she said.
“Detectives are following a number of lines of enquiry as part of the overall investigation.”
Mr Conway was killed almost a year to the day after Lurgan man Shane Whitla was shot dead in Lurgan.
He was one of three men charged in relation to the Whitla murder, which took place on January 12 last year, and was alleged to have lured the victim to his “execution”.
Prosecutors have claimed Mr Whitla was killed over a suspected drug debt to The Firm.
Mr Conway was granted bail for a second time in relation to the Whitla murder last July after he had earlier absconded from police and later moved to west Belfast.
Requiem Mass for Mr Conway was held in his hometown last Sunday.
Police returned to the murder scene on Tuesday as their investigation continues.