PI Global Investments
Property

South American Burglary Crew Used Wi-Fi Jammers, Sophisticated Tactics, LASD Says


Law enforcement officials offered tips on protecting personal property during a press conference on Wednesday after the arrest of several members of a “sophisticated” South American crime ring that used high-tech devices like camera surveillance and Wi-Fi jammers.

Los Angeles County officials announced Wednesday that seven suspects connected to a series of residential burglaries across Los Angeles and Ventura counties, including one in Newhall, have been arrested as part of a coordinated crackdown on organized South American burglary crews.

Featuring Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan Hochman, Los Angeles County Sheriff Robert Luna, Ventura County Sheriff Jim Fryhoff and Los Angeles Police Chief Jim McDonnell, the press conference provided a laundry list of crimes committed by the suspects, some of which stretched back to January 2025.

“These highly-coordinated burglary crews are increasingly targeting affluent neighborhoods and often select homes near golf courses, parks and hiking trails and open space areas that provide easier access and escape routes,” Luna said. “These crews strike both residential as well as commercial properties and often operate in multiple counties and states.”

The announcement expands on a May 1 Newhall burglary case.

“Our community, like many others, has been impacted by organized South American burglary crews targeting homes and stealing high-value jewelry, cash, and other valuables,” SCV Sheriff’s Station spokesperson Shirley Miller said in the original announcement. “Thanks to collaboration and proactive enforcement, a coordinated effort has led to multiple arrests.”

According to Luna, Ventura County Sheriff’s Department investigators learned on May 1 that a suspected burglary crew linked to multiple residential burglaries was operating in the Santa Clarita Valley.

Investigators identified two vehicles believed to have been used in previous burglaries and later located them, leaving a neighborhood in Newhall just after they burglarized a home in the 24000 block of Matthew Place.

newhall crime burglary ring matthew place lasd 052026

LASD

Detectives conducted a traffic stop on the southbound Interstate 5 Freeway in Los Angeles, where three suspects allegedly fled on foot.

Deputies established a containment area and arrested two suspects, while the driver of the second vehicle was taken into custody without incident. A fourth suspect initially escaped but was later arrested by Ventura County investigators on May 4.

During the investigation, detectives recovered U.S. currency, jewelry, a luxury handbag, gloves, burglary tools and a Wi-Fi jamming device believed to have been used to interfere with home security systems.

Officials said all stolen property had been recovered and returned to the victims.

The original arrests announced by the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff’s Station identified three suspects as Edisson Boyaca, 27, of Inglewood, Owen Rivera Chacon, 24, a transient, and Christopher Sanchez, 25, of Los Angeles. Officials said Wednesday all suspects connected to the Newhall case were Colombian nationals.

Wednesday’s press conference outlined three separate burglary cases involving seven defendants accused of participating in organized South American burglary crews operating across Los Angeles and Ventura counties.

Officials said another suspect arrested in West Los Angeles on May 4 has been charged in connection with 18 residential burglaries, while a separate Burbank case involved three suspects accused of using a ladder to access the second floor of a home.

Law enforcement officials warned that these burglary crews often use sophisticated tactics, including hidden surveillance cameras, Wi-Fi jamming devices and social media monitoring to target victims.

Officials encouraged residents to secure valuables in anchored safes, avoid posting vacation plans online, install hard-wired security systems and report suspicious activity immediately.

“Please, whatever you do, don’t tell the world you’re in Paris when you live in LA or wherever you’re traveling to,” Luna said. Because it’s not just the people you want to know, that know you’re away. It’s these individuals, that are very sophisticated, and use that against you.”

The investigation remains ongoing, and officials said additional arrests and charges are expected.

According to Luna, there has been a decline in residential burglaries in Los Angeles County, from 10,419 incidents in 2022 to 8,453 in 2025.

Sponsored Articles

Do you have a news tip? Call us at (661) 298-1220, or send an email to news@hometownstation.com. Don’t miss a thing. Get breaking KHTS Santa Clarita News Alerts delivered right to your inbox. Report a typo or error, email Corrections@hometownstation.com

KHTS FM 98.1 and AM 1220 is Santa Clarita’s only local radio station. KHTS mixes in a combination of news, traffic, sports, and features along with your favorite adult contemporary hits. Santa Clarita news and features are delivered throughout the day over our airwaves, on our website and through a variety of social media platforms. Our KHTS national award-winning daily news briefs are now read daily by 34,000+ residents. A vibrant member of the Santa Clarita community, the KHTS broadcast signal reaches all of the Santa Clarita Valley and parts of the high desert communities located in the Antelope Valley. The station streams its talk shows over the web, reaching a potentially worldwide audience. Follow @KHTSRadio on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

KHTS FM 98.1 & AM 1220





Source link

Related posts

Dharan Mayor Harka Sampang Clarifies Asset Details Amid Public Scrutiny | Ratopati

D.William

Tengah’s first private condo nearly sold out at launch weekend

D.William

Jackson County assessor removed

D.William

Leave a Comment