Last Updated:
Anders Antonsen criticises BWF’s 2027 calendar, citing India Open’s February slot and Delhi’s persistent air pollution concerns.

Anders Antonsen hits a return to France’s Alex Lanier during their men’s singles quarter-final match at the China Masters (Picture credit: AFP)
2019 World Championships silver medallist Anders Antonsen has said that he isn’t glad about the Badminton World Federation’s renewed calendar for 2027, which has pushed the India Open to the first week of February, adding that the pollution isn’t supposed to improve a lot in three weeks and hence the conditions will still be unhealthy in New Delhi.
Antonsen, who skipped the India Open Super 750 earlier this year because of air pollution and was handed a mandatory $5,000 fine for missing the event, said that conditions in Delhi are much better at this time of year.
Antonsen also lauded the facilities at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium ahead of the global tournament.
“Yeah, definitely. I haven’t been here in like three and a half years or something. Last time was in 2023. As I understand it, there is a big, big difference from season to season when it comes to the pollution,” Antonsen said while speaking to the media.
“So in general, it is pretty crazy, but this is just fine. I have experienced way worse air pollution than it’s right now, so this I am okay with. And as far as the conditions go, the hall is pretty and the practice facilities are good as well,” Antonsen added.
The 2021 World Championships bronze medallist is comfortable with the current conditions during the WC but admitted he may reconsider playing future editions of the India Open if the tournament continues to be held in January or February.
Antonsen also expressed his frustration with the new BWF calendar, which has scheduled the India Open for February.
“I wasn’t happy to see it, to be honest. The BWF gives out these fines if you don’t show up to Super 750 or above. Every year, when I see the calendar, I am like, okay, they are just instantly giving me a $5,000 fine,” Antonsen said.
The 2023 World Championships bronze medallist will begin his campaign against Azerbaijan’s Dicky Pangestu on Monday.
Key Questions Answered
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has already scheduled the India Open for February in 2027 and the end of January in 2028, according to their 2027-28 calendar. There is no indication that the BWF will change this schedule due to player health concerns.
August 16, 2026, 20:10 IST
Read More
